The people of Israel renewed God’s Covenant with them through circumcision and remembered what God had now for them by celebrating the Passover.
The following are some discussion questions to use in a small group or for further individual study.
- Jim opened his message with an illustration about an old wooden well bucket that appeared to be beyond usefulness until it was let down into the well to be restored by the fresh water. When in your life have you felt like that like that well bucket? Are you in a period right now that you feel like you can no longer be used by God?
- Read Genesis 17:1-14. According to verses 4-8 of this passage, what was God’s part of the covenant? According to verses 9-14 was Abraham’s and his descendants’ part of the covenant?
- Read Jeremiah 4:4. What did the Lord, through Jeremiah, tell the people of Israel to do? What do you think he meant when he told them to circumcise their hearts?
- Read Jeremiah 31:31-33. Why do you think the Lord promised a new covenant, when they already had Abraham’s covenant? In what way did Jesus Christ fulfill the promise of a new covenant?
- Read Colossians 2:11-13. According to these verse what does it mean to be “circumcised by Christ”?
- Read Joshua 5:5. It says that the generation that came out of Egypt had been circumcised and therefore were taught of their covenant relationship with God.. Why do you think their parents circumcised the boys in Egypt? (Note what explanation Jim gave. Do you agree?) Why do you think that generation neglected to circumcise their sons while they were in the wilderness? What can we learn from this?
- Read Joshua 5:7 and 9. Why does it say that Joshua circumcised the male Israelites? What were the results? What do you think it meant when God said, “Today I have rolled away the reproach of Egypt from you.”
- Exodus chapters 11 and 12 explains the Passover. How was the Passover a picture of what Christ would do for us? Why did God command that they commemorate this event each year? In what way are we commanded to remember what Jesus did for us?